Wednesday 11 June 2014

Sneaked out from comfort zone with LAIN #1

"Great things never came from comfort zones", I couldnt agree more!
Hmmm WAIT...when I say 'outside comfort zone', these are way too extreme...










Panel Saw, Band Saw, Disc & Belt Sander, Electrical Sander (with such loud noise and strong vibration that I cant feel my hands after 4 hours of 4-level sanding), Drill Press, Jigsaw, Chisel, Slide Compound, Mitre Saw, Mostiser, Electrical Drill...
and the list goes on with loads of 'alien' terms (you can visit LAIN workshop in Subang Jaya to see it for yourself!)...

All of these machineries require so much careful execution (just got to stay focused and be patient so we don't end up as 'patient'...) after all the meticulous planning (as in measurement, blade angle, machineries set up, securing the wood piece with clams so it doesnt move when the 'blade swallowing' begins etc etc)...

Believe me, these high-tech 'monsters' are soooooo much scarier and dangerous the moment they are switched on!! Before this, I'm even scared of sewing machine (no offence, I didnt mean to underestimate sewing machine which also seem dangerous to me), and now I'm gonna operate all these...what have I got myself into?!

The last time I used nails and hammer was in 1996, that's a whopping 18 years history!! This LAIN WOODwork workshop is adopting an even more advanced method - it uses joineries which requires such high level of accuracy; and it uses machineries instead of nails or saw...

But hey, we have drove 330 km to be here, husband took so many days off for my workshop, did so much accommodation planning, teacher Hani combined the course timing to accommodate my availability etc many other arrangement to make this happen!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

I tried to suppress the fear in me...As usual, I repeatedly play the "reminder to self" in my mind ~ "If you can deliver 2 babies without any painkiller, I'm sure you can overcome the phobia and lay your hands on those scary 'crocodiles'!! Come on, let's do it...and do it right!
Thanks to HANI of LAIN and the lil voice in me, I sneaked out from the comfort zone that day...

:)

ABOUT HANI ALI of LAIN

Hani Ali graduated her Diploma, Adv. Diploma & Bachelors Degree in Australia. She worked as one
of the Furniture Design Associate at the JamFactory
Contemporary Craft & Design, one of the prestigous
Design Centre in Australia.

She is the founder of LAIN Design which designs, creates
and fabricates customized pieces for both households
and contract furnishing.
Lain originates from a Malay word which means Unique and Exquisite. 
Lain’s design aspired to be different and dare to stand out from the rest. 
Lain focuses on individualised and personalised furnitures and objects. 
www.lain.my





No comments:

Post a Comment