Monday 28 April 2014

KIASU parents and sculptured balloons


I hardly voice up - unless necessary; or when I'm challenged especially as a mom (to protect my kids).

I sternly voiced up my thought to a clown last weekend during a fair in shopping mall.
YES, A CLOWN!

I brought my two kids to queue up for sculptured balloons. I wanted to teach them about queing up and taking turn for everything. Therefore instead of those parents who were so 'kiasu' (meaning afraid to lose out) that they blocked the way for their kids - I asked my 3-year old and 5-year old to queue up by themselves. I stood behind them to ensure those aggresive aunties wont knock my kids' heads with their hand bags (the height was just nice, ouchh!).

Within seconds, we were 'ambushed' from left, right and front (sorry, no one choose to stand behind us who were trying to create a line). The clown was very contented with the great response. Seeing the big crowd, he distributed balloons (which hasnt been blown/ sculptured) to all the kids who were waiting.

Once the children received the balloons, the 'competition' was upgraded to another level!!

All of them, including the parents (YES, parents!) stood closer....closer and closer (!) towards the clown, so much so that the clown had no choice but to do theirs first. The most aggresive one won.

Some parents who did it more subtly 'cheered' from the side - reminding and encouraging their children to quickly stuck their balloon in the clown's hand - and 'declare' what shape do they want.

I was 'amazed' when a teenage who could have possibly qualify for PMR exam - barged in WITHOUT taking turn and asked for sculptured baloon. After she left with her favourite sculptured baloons (can choose colour some more!!), my toddlers who stood in the queue for the last 5 minutes before her - were still waiting hopelessly...

For the next 5 minutes, 6 kids (from 2 families) got their easy way out by being aggresive - ignoring the basic manner of taking turn. I can't blame those kids, they did it under 'aggresive coaching' by their own parents.

My kids were confused, they have been standing there for 10 minutes but the crowd keep 'building up' in front' of them. They kept looking up at me with the helpless gaze and said, "so long geh...". I replied them, "No choice, we still have to queue up. WE ALL SHOULD"

A kid who came last even pushed my kids - of which the parents were so 'cool' about it. I told the kid, "Ei...must queue up." At that moment, I knew I could have got myself a punch from the kids' parents. I didnt know where I got the courage from - to even voice up. Hehe...

I said to another mom whose daughter was very introvert - "It's SOOOO WEIRD that people never bother to queue up. Just rebut and they got it!"

The mother just smiled awkwardly. Seeing that she was very soft, I told myself it's time for me to speak up! To be fair to the clown, I knew he doesnt understand Chinese (he might, actually), I said, "Mr Clown, I think you have to give priority to those kids who have been queuing up - otherwise those kids never learn!!"

He was shocked, so he tried his best to do for the 3 kids who have been standing there for decades. I couldnt smiled, I was upset with all the ugly human behaviour i witnessed with my very eyes.

Are we teaching our children that if you obey the rules - you'll always be at the losing end?

Are we teaching our children that in order to get what we want, it doesnt matter how we achieve it - be it right or wrong?

Are we teaching our children that being unruly is the only way to win?

Though I was very pissed off with the kiasu acts of those parents - I made it a point that my kids thanked the clown loud and clear - before we left.

After the incident, I felt guilty towards the clown. Although I was not scolding him, I was very stern with my suggestion which was meant for those 'kiasu' parents.

I've seen a clown who was very professional in managing the crowd - he insisted that everyone queue up and dont allow anyone to cut queue - especially those parents who will try their luck. Hmmm, I should have asked for his name!

A day after the incident, I confessed to my sister that I wasnt very nice to a clown. Much to my relief, she told me that when they went to the shopping mall much later than us - the clown has gotten the crowd to queue up orderly!!

I'm so so so glad that I MADE A DIFFERENCE!

At the same time, looking at how fierce the parent who stared at me (bumped into her in the mall after I teased those who cut queue, including her...), I'm worried what kind of 'unhealthy competition' will my children face as they grow up - my only hope is that they dont lose sight of what matters the most.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment